Epic made some changes to shotguns in Season 5, with the following changes being made:
- Shotguns will now indicate how many pellets hit, visible within the reticle.
- Adjusted shotgun spread patterns to be consistent with no random variation.
- Heavy Shotgun now fires 10 pellets rather than 5.
- Maximum damage for the Heavy Shotgun remains unchanged.
- After firing a shotgun, another shotgun cannot be fired for a very short time.
The player base seemed to be split on Double shotguns, with some complaining every time Epic tried to fix it, and others were happy that they weren’t getting into close fights they couldn’t win if they player they were fighting had mastered using two shotguns.
Reddit user eepicprimee decided to test out the double pumps and posted the video on Reddit:
In the Reddit post, players were commenting that the new meta is a shotgun following by a tac SMG, and others said the Drum Gun is much better at close range than shotguns anyway.
One thing players did notice after the servers went live with Season 5 was the damage the Heavy Shotgun was doing, with players hitting over 300 with a headshot, and 140 with a body shot.
This was quickly fixed by Epic, as confirmed by MrPopoTFS: