There’s a new PS5 controller and system software update released today (September 15th, 2021). Here’s what’s new.
Sony have rolled out a new system software update for the PS5 along with a controller update. Today’s update is the second major update for the new console. This update was available to beta testers a couple of months ago and has now been pushed live worldwide.
The new features including a new trophy tracker, M.2. SSD storage expansion support, 3D audio support for TV speakers, UX enhancements, The choice to choose between 720p and 1080p quality for PlayStation Now subscribers and more.
Here are the patch notes for today’s update that have been posted on the PlayStation Blog:
PS5 September Update Patch Notes
PS5 UX Enhancements
The PS5 September Update features new UX enhancements that make it easier than ever for players to view, personalize and manage their game content and console experience:
- Control Center customization. Players can now customize their Control Center more freely by rearranging or choosing which controls to hide or unhide at the bottom of the screen.
- Enhanced Game Base. Players can now easily view and write messages to friends and Parties directly from Game Base in the Control Center.
- Game Library and Home Screen updates. If you have PS4 and PS5 versions of the same game installed, they’ll now appear separately in the “Installed” tab of the Game Library and on the Home screen. Each game’s tile now also clearly indicates its platform.
- Screen Reader controls. Players can now pause or resume Screen Reader (Press “PS + Triangle buttons”) and have it repeat anything it reads (Press “PS + R1 buttons”).
While viewing Game Base in full screen, players can also see how many of their friends are online, busy, or offline, as well as accept, decline or cancel multiple friend requests at once.
New Gaming and Social Experience Customizations
- PlayStation Now resolution selector and connection test tool. PlayStation Now subscribers can choose between 720p or 1080p (depending on individual game) to accommodate their preferred video resolution for game streaming. A streaming connection test also helps them identify and troubleshoot any problems with their connection.
- New Accolade Type: “Leader.” Following an online match, players can award others with a fourth accolade type, “Leader,” which is visible on players’ profiles.
Players can also enable 3D audio support for built-in TV speakers. This can be enabled in the sound menu. You’ll need the PS5 controller to measure the acoustics in your room using the controllers microphone. Ensure you have the latest controller update and unplug the USB cable from the controller.
You can also expand your PS5 sotrage with an M.2 SSD. There are some performance and size requirements that Sony have outlined on this page. THere’s also a guide that’ll help you install an M.2 SSD in your PlayStation 5: